[Openstack] [Swift] Object use cases

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Wed Jan 22 14:04:58 UTC 2014

You are asking for practical examples, so here are some links to get started:

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/02/09/scaling-media-storage-at-wikimedia-with-swift/

http://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-summit-hong-kong-2013/session-videos/presentation/case-study-concur-delivering-a-saas-application-with-swift

http://www.mirantis.com/blog/cisco-webex-mirantis-openstack-private-cloud-production/

https://cloud.sdsc.edu/hp/index.php

http://www.encoding.com/help/sub_category/category/Rackspace_Cloud_Files

http://www.buildcloudstorage.com/2013/12/3-reasons-customers-will-store-exabytes.html

http://engineering.spilgames.com/openstack-swift-lots-small-files/

http://blog.adityapatawari.com/2014/01/using-openstack-swift-as-owncloud.html

https://github.com/wecreatepixels/django-storage-swift

So almost all of the above are using private cloud storage with Swift (ie rather than a public cloud provider). You can also look into how Rackspace, HP, Softlayer(IBM), NTT, Internap, Memset, KT, Cloudwatt, and other service providers around the world use Swift. Their respective customer bases is large and has a million different uses.

--John