[Openstack] Turn a XenServer AllInOne Node into a Compute Node?

Bob Ball bob.ball at citrix.com
Mon Jan 20 09:10:09 UTC 2014

Hi Sisu,

You can easily convert a VM running all services in devstack to one running just the services needed for compute (nova-compute and nova-network in the case of the stock method for setting up devstack with XenServer).

There is a script at https://github.com/citrix-openstack/qa/blob/master/connect-devstack-local.sh - download this to the devstack instance you want to just run compute services, and run it passing the IP address of the devstack that hosts the rest of the services.
If you’ve got a split of where the other services are, check out the details in the script – it’s actually quite simple to change hosts in the localrcs.

Note that this will not convert an “AllInOne” devstack to a standalone compute node – it will still be using devstack, but just configuring it to run only the compute services.

Thanks,

Bob