[Openstack] [nova] [rfc] drop XML from v3 API entirely

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jan 15 20:35:31 UTC 2014

On Jan 15, 2014, at 8:26 AM, Sean Dague wrote:

> Right, it's also an odd question. Because I'm not sure which SDKs
> actually talks to the XML interface (python does not, and I didn't think
> jclouds did either). I doubt that 30% of the OpenStack users wrote their
> own client library to talk to the API.

As another data point, I can say with certainty that none of the following major SDKs use XML.

Apache jclouds (Java)
openstack.net (C#)
pkgcloud (node.js)
php-opencloud (PHP)
Fog (Ruby)

> So we really need the next layer on this to call it valid statistics.
> Because 100% of users are using the JSON API (given that OpenStack
> components talk between each other on JSON only). And you have to go out
> of your way to us XML.

I agree that more metrics are needed before condemning the XML API. That 30% number from user survey might not have a lot of detail behind it but we need to respect those users who are actually using it. Breaking client code is not a good developer experience.

Regards,
Everett