[Openstack] Fwd: [nova] [rfc] drop XML from v3 API entirely

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed Jan 15 19:40:43 UTC 2014

It's great to be having the discussion since we need to find what can be simplified and what is currently needed.

At one time, we had discussed some form of opt-in stats monitoring of production deployments (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/opt-in-stats-tracking). While there is no implementation, it would be a place where a set of counters could help out to assess the potential impact. There are lots of APIs (at CERN, we use the ones listed in http://information-technology.web.cern.ch/book/cern-cloud-infrastructure-user-guide/advanced-topics/programming-apis)

The challenge is to know which external facing APIs

- are using XML and know they're using XML
- think they are not using XML but actually one of their library/ecosystem products use it (it is quite difficult to know without diving into the logs)
- weren't sure on the details of the question in the survey

For many sites, they use a library/ecosystem product and do not know what is underneath. Given a transition period, there is a good chance to avoid downtime.

Tim