[Openstack] [Horizon and Nova] Inclusion of exception message to UI error

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Mon Jan 13 22:22:31 UTC 2014

The reason the architecture is the way it is in Horizon right now is because historically most projects have sent messages that are either raw tracebacks (not appropriate for a popup error display at all), extremely detailed/technical reports containing multiple resource IDs that are not human-parseable, or otherwise unhelpful error strings.

Basically, until there is a concerted effort on the part of each and every service to be better about returning human-parseable error messages from the APIs, the default should be to show a generic error message unless we know that the API is trusted to return appropriate responses. Opt-in, not opt-out.

There are basically two ways to proceed right now: invest a ton of work-hours in Horizon figuring out a good message for each poor response returned from each API call, or invest a ton of work-hours in the projects themselves to improve the error responses for human consumption.

As a third option that does not ultimately reduce the need for the work described above, you could display the generic message and have an option attached to the generic message that says "See the raw API response (advanced)" or something like that which would pop up a window that had the actual error response from the API. This would probably need to be configurable in the settings since many deployers still wouldn't want regular users exposed to some of the information that's returned in those error responses.

Personally I favor investing the energy in improving the responses sent back from the APIs. It'd go a long way towards improving the global user experience of OpenStack.

     - Gabriel