[Openstack] [nova] Question about dissociating networks/projects(tenants)

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Jan 8 20:35:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I wanted to get some input on the os-networks extension documentation as
it's unclear right now. If you look at
http://api.openstack.org/api-ref-compute-ext.html#ext-os-networks, you see
two different POST calls, one disassociates the host from a specified
network, the other disassociates a specified network from a project. Both
requests are simple calls with null in the example, but I don't understand
how these would be used in a real-world scenario. I see it as:
1. create network
2. boot server connected to that network with POST
v2/{tenant_id}/os-networks/{id}/action

{
    "associate_host": "testHost"
}

3. then disassociate the same server (seems to take a name?) as needed. I
think the null might be incorrect here, and "testHost" would be a better
example.
POST v2/{tenant_id}/os-networks/{id}/action

{
    "disassociate_host": null
}

4. And if you ever need to disassociate all the servers from a particular
tenant, you'd use the second POST call below:
POST v2/{tenant_id}/os-networks/{id}/action

{
    "disassociate": null
}

Any thoughts? I can explain further if needed.

Thanks,
Anne