[Openstack] Wiki love for projects pages

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Jan 6 23:55:33 UTC 2014

There are quite some differences between wiki pages for the projects and
more often than not I and others end up having to hit the search button
to find out small details about a project, like who's the current PTL or
when the project has its meetings. Also, sometimes reporters land on a
page hosted on our wiki and they assume that whatever is on the wiki is
officially endorsed by OpenStack as a whole.

To alleviate these issues, I think it would be good to make sure that
all project pages standardize on showing a minimum amount of common
details in an easy to read fashion. Something like the Infobox you see
on many pages on Wikipedia.

I scanned the wiki and tried to collect a minimum set of data already
shown but not consistently.  For example, an infobox template would look
something like:

{{Infobox

Full name = OpenStack Networking
Code name = Neutron
Source code =
Bug tracker =
Blueprints =
RoadMap =
Developer doc =
Current PTL =
Meetings =
Status 	=   Integrated | Incubation | Related
FAQ = Link to Ask/tag=

}}

The rest of the page would have more information like:

 * Objective
   (like the programs pages, state what the intention of the project is/not)

 * Resources for developers
   (anything useful, from links to etherpads, howtos, names of
volunteers...)

 * Subpages
   (automatically built)

 * Related projects and related pages
   (automatically built list of pages in the same project/program category)

The (incomplete, I assume) list of pages that need this sort of
standardization:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/wiki-templatization

Questions for you: are the details in that infobox enough? What to
add/remove?

Any other suggestion to improve the presentation for newcomers
(developers, users, end users) of the pages above?

Cheers,
stef