[Openstack] [Heat] AutoScaling and Load balancing

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 16:02:31 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 09:37:14AM +0100, Jon Kon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using Devstack and I want to add a load balancer to the AutoScaling group. I want to autoscale IPsec VPN servers, which works fine. But now, I need a load balancer, which shares out the requests between the VPN servers.
> I read the template guide of Heat, but I don't know, how the template has to look like. Furthermore, an IP is needed so that the clients can connect to the VPN servers.
>
> Could someone have a look at my template, please?
>
> And here is my template:
> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/9246455

Here's a similar example, using a neutron loadbalancer, which you might
find useful:

https://gist.github.com/therve/9231701

Probably we need an example like that in the heat-templates repo as we
don't currenlty have many good examples of using the neutron LB:

https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/

This example shows how to associate a neutron floating IP with a load
balancer:

https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/blob/master/openshift-enterprise/heat/neutron/highly-available/ose_ha_stack.yaml#L310

Hope that helps.

Steve