[Openstack] [ceilometer] performance issues

Alexander Stellwag openstack at stellwag.net
Fri Feb 21 10:00:35 UTC 2014

Hi stackers,

we've been doing a few tests with ceilometer to see if we can use it for
our private cloud installation. Performance was very poor at best which
doesn't make sense for me.

We've used packages from the ubuntu cloud archive (havana on 12.04
FWIW), the mysql db for ceilometer was installed on a separate VM (4
vcpus, 16 GB ram).

Having around 20-30 virtual instances and a very few networks and
routers running, the simplest ceilometer commands ran into timeouts
after 5-10 minutes.

Commands executed include:

# ceilometer sample-list -m network.outgoing.bytes
# ceilometer statistics -m network.outgoing.bytes
# ceilometer meter-list

We've checked that the bottlenech was not the ceilometer-db, the VM
showed pretty good response and no significant load at all times during
our tests.

If you have similar experiences od if you're running (havana-)ceilometer
at scale I would appreciate any feedback.

Best
Alex