[Openstack] Duplicate DHCP-agent problem?

Nick Ma skywalker.nick at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 14:02:01 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I find that there's a parameter "dhcp_agents_per_network" in
neutron.conf to implement duplicate DHCP-agents serving a certain
network. When it sets 2, 2 DHCP-agents serve one network.

Is it stable solution? It runs 2 qdhcp-xxx in different hosts and each
qdhcp-xxx runs dnsmasq to serve dhcp requests of that tenant. AFAIK,
dnsmasq is stateful sinces it stores records on the disk. If the two
dnsmasq is not that synchronized, for example, I run multiple instances
at the same time, is it possible that two different instances require
the IP from the two dnsmasq and finally get the same IP?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--

Nick Ma
skywalker.nick at gmail.com