[Openstack] Discovering Ceilometer endpoint address and instance id inside running VM instance.

Sergey Gomanyuk Sergey.Gomanyuk at amdocs.com
Fri Feb 7 14:20:44 UTC 2014

Hello,

In my project I have to provide some metrics from running VM instance so they'll be visible in OpenStack Dashboard Resource Utilization Panel. My current solution is using Ceilometer V2 Web API (http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/webapi/v2.html#user-defined-data) to provide samples for custom meter. My samples provider runs on VM instance so there is a problem with provisioning it with Ceilometer endpoint address and other stuff like project-id, user-id and instance-id. Currently I found the only way to provide such a data - customization script executed after VM instance creation. So my question is: is there a better way of auto discovery  Ceilometer endpoint address, project-id, user-id and instance-id inside running VM instance?

Thanks,

Sergey Gomanyuk