[Openstack] nova unique name generator middleware

Craig J craig.jellick at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 19:19:43 UTC 2014

Hi,

In our OpenStack environment, we have the need to enforce unique names for
each VM. Long story short, the names need to be unique because of some
other systems that we are integrating with.

I think the best way to accomplish this is to write a custom piece of paste
middleware and plug it into the nova api. I'm planning on basically
overriding the name provide by the user with a name that we can guarantee
to be unique.

So, two questions:
1. Does anyone have a similar piece of middleware they'd care to share?
2. Are there any reasons this approach won't work? Any better approaches?

Thanks in advance,
Craig