[Openstack] Scheduled Backup (was Openstack capabilities)

Preston L. Bannister preston at bannister.us
Sat Dec 27 20:06:11 UTC 2014

Likely as the first part of the problem is as yet unsolved. How do you do
backup in OpenStack, efficiently?

Schedules are easy. Simple "cron" works. The vendor offering backup could
do scheduling. The public cloud providers might want to do their own
scheduling. Individual cloud tenants might want to do their own scheduling.
Individual cloud application developers might want to do their own
scheduling. Different use-cases.

Note that vendor-offered scheduling might not align with provider, tenant,
or developer needs for scheduling. So you have to cover the on-demand case
first, and well. Of course, as a backup vendor you want to offer
scheduling, as it is expected. You might cover most of the use-cases, but
not all.

As an cloud application developer using AWS, there is existing basic
function to do simple on-demand backups that works rather well. OpenStack
does not have the equivalent. So as a developer deploying applications to
the cloud, AWS is better. With AWS you can cover the scheduling cases, with
a bit of easy work.

As a cloud provider, your first problem is that the existing offerings from
backup vendors are not very good (as you may have noticed).

As a backup vendor, you can offer solutions using in-guest agents.
(Essentially treating each instance as you would a stand-alone machine.)
Most folk want efficient backup across all instances, with minimal
footprint (or none) in the instance. Image-based backup is most efficient,
but the current set of primitives offered by OpenStack are not sufficient.
There is certainly work in progress, trying to add needed primitives, but
the word "done" as yet does not apply.

As a backup vendor, you can offer inefficient backup using existing
OpenStack primitives. You can offer efficient backup specific to a very
limited number of configurations (hypervisor and block storage
implementations). This is not what most folk want.

So this is where we are, and why you are not finding what you need.