[Openstack] ceilometer question: metering number of running instances

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 12:41:55 UTC 2014

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a way of how to meter the number of running instances (per
> tenant).
>
> Currently, the Sum value in ceilometer statistics command's output is
> confusing, mostly because the high number of notifications generated by nova
> for each instance. As a result, also the graph in Resource Usage view does
> not
> seem really useful at least for 'instances' meter.
>
> (See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1396257 for this problem)
>
> So, what is the correct way? Should I group the statistics output by
> resource_id like
>
> ceilometer statistics -m instance -q 'timestamp>2014-12-03T00' -g resource_id

You could use the new selectable cardinality aggregate added in icehouse,
e.g.

  ceilometer statistics -a 'cardinality<-resource_id' \
    -m instance -q 'timestamp>2014-12-03T00:00:00'

which counts the number of distinct value of a particular attribute
within the matching samples (in this cse, the instance UUID).

Cheers,
Eoghan