[Openstack] Technical advantages of Openstack over Cloudstack

Jordi Moles Blanco jordi at cdmon.com
Tue Dec 9 12:30:14 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

thanks for all your answers, I will answer all of you in a single message.

Clint, I agree. Actually, right now I'm able to deploy a HA openstack
environtment with Ceph and other extra features like Zabbix with Fuel.
I took me a while to get used to it, but now I see it really does the
job very well.

However... like I said... sometimes it just stops working and it seems
that you need experts to maintain Openstack.

What about Cloudstack? mmm.... not much so. At the end of the day... you
have a bunch of nodes like in the "old days" that are connected to each
other in the classical way: different roles (compute, storage, etc) and
different NICs to separate the traffic. You connect them however you
want and then you install a cloudstack agent that receives orders from
the servers. Let's say that it is like orchestrating your typical
virtualization platform with Chef. The difference is that in Chef you
have to do everything on your own (write your own recipes I mean) and
with Cloudstack you are given all the "recipes" and you don't have to do
anything.

Michael, Cloudstack does not offer an Object Store, but it can use Swift
or even Amazon S3, or a plain NFS server. Correct me if I'm wrong, but
do we actually need a high performing Object store? In both Openstack
and Cloudtack, the secondary storage is only used to store templates,
images and so on, not to run instances on them. So... unless I'm missing
something here, a bare NFS server can be enough to store the images.

As for the horror stories, you might be right, but I can tell you that
I've managed to install different versions from Cloudstack 4.x without
any problem, while I wasn't able to install Openstack Icehouse or Juno
with any tool (not even the cloud-install script that different vendors
are supplying or scripts done by the community) until I found Mirantis'
Fuel).
May be in Cloudstack 3.x or earlier that was the case, but I can't say.

As for the upgrades... constant upgrades don't guarantee stability (and
I could long talk about cases where this is very true). Falling behind?
Again... feature-wise, I can see that both do the same things. Even
Cloudstack has some cool features available from the GUI that Openstack
doesn't seem to have or that are not easy or straightforward to
implement (like the IOPS limitation).

Yitao, thanks for the link, I hadn't seen it and it is very recent and
interesting.

Mark, I've read the document you sent (and other similar ones) about
scaling Ceph. One system that was designed from scratch to be
scalable... I mean, it has to be, It wouldn't make sense otherwise. But
other distributed storage systems that I've tried (and storage is my
thing) are scalable without limit (if you look at the algorithm) but
they start to suffer from serious performance issues when they reach a
certain number of nodes. You start facing different bottlenecks like the
devices not being able to provide more IOPS or two many interruptions in
the NIC because of workload from visitors and also replication of data
between nodes.
The only thing you can do if you want to scale without limit of storage
nodes is going somewhere >10Gb/s (note that I'm saying only greater
than) and using flash storage arrays. Obviously then you have the issue
with price and the durability of the array, but performance-wise is
really limitless.

But as Jay pointed out, Ceph != Openstack, so let's not waste too much
energy on this as I'm more concerned about technical functionalities.

thanks.