[Openstack] legacy nova-network and auto scaling

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Tue Aug 26 11:00:54 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 01:50:52PM +0530, mad Engineer wrote:
>    Hi,
>    A  A  I have working ice house release with "nova-network" as the
>    networking service.
>    My question is,is there any dependency on auto scaling and neutron ie do i
>    need neutron for auto scaling.

I'm going to assume you're talking about Heat autoscaling here, in which
case the answer depends on which LoadBalancer resource you want to use.

The cloudformation-compatible LoadBalancer resource spins up a VM running
haproxy, with no dependency on neutron, but if you want to use the Neutron
LBaaS interfaces, and the OS::Neutron::LoadBalancer resource, you will need
Neutron ;)

Examples:
https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/blob/master/cfn/F17/AutoScalingMultiAZSample.yaml

https://github.com/openstack/heat-templates/blob/master/hot/autoscaling.yaml#L151

In summary, if you want to make use of the native as opposed to
cfn-compatible autoscaling functionality, it's probably best to use
Neutron.

Steve