[Openstack] Swift Ring Maintenance

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 20:00:43 UTC 2014

If you're truly not concerned about the replication overhead the balance is
going to require the minimal amount of data movement if you just remove and
re-add the devices in their new zone with a single rebalance and ring-push.
 That may or may not be a good idea to recommend depending on how much data
you have an the speed of your replication network and object servers.

As a general rule I might suggest doing a single device and seeing how it
goes.  But if you have more replica's that zones currently you're really
going to want the latest ring-builder code that landed this week or you'll
be in for a none good time - definitely recommend you copy your builder out
to a temporary directory and validate the new weights before pushing.
 Keeping good backups of your builders could really save you if things go
terribly wrong.

-Clay