[Openstack] [Swift] XFS Write Barriers

Chuck Thier cthier at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:20:11 UTC 2014

Well the short answer to that question is that it is generally a best
practice to run a disk controller card  with a persistent cache in front of
your storage drives.  When this is the case you want to turn barriers off,
otherwise they would render your cache ineffective.

If you are not running a disk controller with persistent cache, then
generally, you want to turn barriers on, but the performance is likely to
be horrible.  We could also get into a discussion of weather your
controller and drives actually honor the barriers, and things just start to
get messy. :)

--
Chuck

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Shrinand Javadekar <shrinand at maginatics.com