[Openstack] Havana to Icehouse and OVS to ML2 failure

Igor Cardoso igordcard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 13:04:50 UTC 2014

This email supersedes my previous one on 2014/04/20 20:24 UTC,
which wasn't properly formatted.

I decided to upgrade my Havana deployment to Icehouse right after the
official release so I could contribute on the documentation with the
steps necessary, including Neutron and going from the OVS to the ML2
neutron plugin.

However, I'm still having problems due to the ML2 migration.

All nodes (1 hybrid Controller/Network and 1 Compute) are running up
to date Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS.
Havana was working perfectly before (OVS with GRE).

Most important steps done so far:

- Updated everything to Icehouse;

- Ran all database migration commands (typical db sync/db_sync);

- Ran Neutron's own migration commands, in the following ways:
    neutron-db-manage --config-file /etc/neutron/neutron.conf \
                      --config-file (...)/ovs_neutron_plugin.ini \
                      stamp havana
    neutron-db-manage --config-file /etc/neutron/neutron.conf \
                      --config-file (...)/ovs_neutron_plugin.ini \
                      upgrade icehouse

- Manually ran the ML2 migration script:
        python -m neutron.db.migration.migrate_to_ml2 openvswitch \
               mysql://neutron:mypass@mycontroller/neutron

Here are the contents of the ml2_port_bindings table,
right after I run the ML2 migration script:
http://paste.openstack.org/show/76513/

But, if I restart the neutron services, it becomes:
http://paste.openstack.org/show/76515/

Either way, starting nova-compute service at the Compute node yields:
(...)
vif_type parameter must be present for this vif_driver implementation
(...)

And doesn't start.

Any ideas?

Best regards,