[Openstack] Service token and credential security

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Sat Apr 5 00:02:49 UTC 2014

Hey OpenStack peeps!

Most of the .conf files within OpenStack contain credentials and/or token
ID's that allow services to talk to each other. And interestingly, I have
not found a way to obfuscate this data from system admins who do not need
the keys to the entire kingdom.

Is there a best practice I'm unaware of that addresses where credentials
are stored and who can access them? Most system admins have root or sudo
access to /etc/program/program.conf and having access to credentials that
give them that level of power seems like either a bug or an oversight (or
evidence I'm a bigger dumbass than I thought).

Can the credentials used by services such as Swift, Keystone, etc be
protected? How are folks currently protecting their installations while
allowing low-level admins to do their work? Does OpenStack support ESSO or
at least the option to encrypt these files somehow? Seems like an audit
issue to me.

Mahalo,
Adam

*Adam Lawson*