[Openstack] Neutron network node setup

Ageeleshwar Kandavelu Ageeleshwar.Kandavelu at csscorp.com
Wed Apr 2 10:07:06 UTC 2014

Make your external network flat. If you do so there wont be any vlan tag on packets reaching your external network.

in you plugin.ini you put something like this
network_vlan_ranges = Intnet1:100:200,Extnet
bridge_mappings = Intnet1:br-eth1,Extnet:br-ex

This means you would use vlan id 100 to 200 on openstack networks created on top of Intnet1.

On Extnet you would not use any vlan.

Then you say that to all traffic on network created on Intnet1 should be bridged to br-eth1. Then you would add eth1 to br-eth1.

Then you say all traffic for Extnet should be bridged to br-ex. Then you have to add a physical interface say eth2 to br-ex.

Finally you can create an external network in openstack with physical_network=Extnet.

You just said that all internal network shall be created and Intnet1 and allocated vlan from 100 to 200.
External network shall be overlaid on top of Extnet and no vlans.

Hope it makes sense.

Ageeleshwar K