[Openstack] [Neutron] Comparison of Plugins and why SDN?

Siamak Azodolmolky siamak.azodolmolky at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 20:46:04 UTC 2013

Dear List,
   Is there any comparison table to contrast different OpenStack
networking (neutron) plugins? In the admin document, OVS and LinuxBridge
are covered in more detail, but I am not sure if there is any comparison
among the other 3rd party plugins? Are those plugins there just to be
there? Is there any performance or other qualitative reason/bias toward
any of the plugins?

   Furthermore, there are SDN controllers in the list of plugins? I am
suspecting that scalability, hight availability, exploitation
(monitoring, debugging, billing, etc.), and efficiency of virtualization
technologies are the main selling points of the 3rd parties. If this is
true, then aren't the built in plugins (i.e., OVS and Linux bridge)
capable enough to address these issues?

Thank you in advance for your comments/clarifications on this.

best regards,
Siamak

*Dr. Siamak Azodolmolky*

PhD, Msc, SM IEEE, PM ACM

Senior Researcher

Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Expert

*E-mail: Siamak.Azodolmolky at gmail.com*

Skype ID: Siamak.Azodolmolky

Siamak at LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/siamakazodolmolky>