[Openstack] network planning for public openstack cloud

Nick Maslov azpekt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 16:16:48 UTC 2013

Hi, we`re currently planning the installation of public cloud built on Openstack. We made our choices on filesystems, hypervisors, databases and stuff; only thing left undecided is the networking planning.

Are there any best-practices, guides, or advices from the community and/or users about networking layout?

We plan to have about 400 compute hosts initially with 10Gb interlinks. Since this is going to be public cloud, vast majority of traffic will go to/from edge routers to internet, and won`t be routed between VM`s in the datacenter. We plan to grow bigger, but - time will tell how fast we can go there.

Also, we are evaluating quantum-plugins to go from pure OVS solutions to hardware-supported ones.

So, if anyone can point me to some starting points, or share his/her experience - I`ll appreciate that!

Thanks!
NM