[Openstack] How to specify a compute node for instance to boot

Piotr Kopec pkopec17 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 09:41:22 UTC 2013

Hello folks,

I'm wondering how those compute nodes are working in practice. End user
will use Dashboard for building instances.
So I have deployed nova as follows:

[root at ctlnode136 ~]# nova-manage service list
Binary           Host                                 Zone
Status     State Updated_At
nova-cert        ctlnode136                           internal
enabled    :-)   2013-09-20 09:34:04
nova-scheduler   ctlnode136                           internal
enabled    :-)   2013-09-20 09:34:04
nova-consoleauth ctlnode136                           internal
enabled    :-)   2013-09-20 09:34:04
nova-conductor   ctlnode136                           internal
enabled    :-)   2013-09-20 09:33:58
nova-compute     network                              nova
enabled    :-)   2013-09-20 09:34:01
nova-console     ctlnode136                           internal
enabled    :-)   2013-09-20 09:34:02
nova-compute     compute                              nova
enabled    :-)   2013-09-20 09:34:01
nova-console     compute                              internal
enabled    XXX   2013-09-20 09:32:20

And each time when I‘m creating instance from Dashboard it’s admin panel
shows that those instances live on “compute” host. Not even single
instance, created from Dashboard, live on (in my case) “network” host.

Is there any way to distribute equally among compute nodes instances
created from Dashboard?

Thanks for replies.

Piotr.