[Openstack] Fwd: Making the Hong Kong Summit as inclusive as possible

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Sep 11 14:07:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 03:53:36PM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> David Mortman wrote:
> > Given the recent and ongoing issues with sexism (not to mention racism,
> > homophobia and general bigotry) at tech conferences, I recently engaged
> > with several folks on twitter about what was being done to make sure
> > that the Hong Kong Summit was as inclusive as possible regardless of an
> > attendee's age, sex, orientation, race or anything else. I think a good
> > place to start would be an official  anti-harassment policy and a
> > process for people to report issues to the event organizers who can then
> > deal with the issue appropriately. I am happy to help with the drafting
> > of both the policy and the process. What do folks think?
>
> FWIW the summit already has a minimal policy and reporting guidelines
> (see at the bottom of
> http://www.openstack.org/summit/openstack-summit-hong-kong-2013/):
>
> """
> Reminder: Be Excellent
>
> Be excellent to everyone. If you think someone is not being excellent to
> you at the OpenStack Summit call <PHONE> or email <EMAIL>.
> """

As a point of comparison, Linux Foundation says this

  https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/kvm-forum/attend/our-event-policy

I think the Open Stack policy there could do with being expanded to be a
bit more explicit than just "Be excellant to everyone", more akin to what
Linux Foundation say.

I also think it ought to be a bit more prominent - I looked through that
link you mention and didn't even notice this footnote. Ideally on the
conf registration form, there'd be a clear note saying "By registering
you agreed to about by our code of conduct" linking to the text

Regards,
Daniel