[Openstack] Call for help: Havana Install testing

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Oct 16 14:13:21 UTC 2013

Sorry to top-post but I wanted to shout out my appreciation to our
community manager Tom Fifield and his brilliant collaborators for figuring
out the nova-network scenario on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I have to say, people
who run OpenStack are some of the finest humans on planet earth. Let's get
some on the space station too.

Points of note, for those of you who tested yesterday's doc:
* The ubuntu packages were missing a dependency on python-libguestfs -
Credit: Michael Still
* The ubuntu packages for guestfs do not work, without changing the
permissions on some kernel files
* Nova-network multi-host does not work with nova-conductor, and so needs
database configuration. Credit: Sina Sadeghi, Joe Topjian

These changes have been patched in the install guides with /trunk/ in the
URL, and you can ping and ssh instances with these changes. Wahoo.

We're still working through network patches -- with a "choose your own
adventure" install guide, we start simple with nova-network but then move
to neutron for networking, and that has several paths in itself. Please
review these to help us shape the neutron portions:

Give many options from the prior Network Admin Guide
https://review.openstack.org/**#/c/51789/<https://review.openstack.org/#/c/51789/>
Solly Ross's branch: https://github.com/**DirectXMan12/openstack-**
manuals/tree/topic/neutron<https://github.com/DirectXMan12/openstack-manuals/tree/topic/neutron>
Replace everything with ML2: