[Openstack] Seeking Advice & Info for New Installation

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Wed Oct 16 13:41:37 UTC 2013

Welcome,

Not sure about the docker support question, so I'll leave that to others

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Sarah Gerweck <sarah.a180 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is Havana still on track to be released in two days? Or is the release
> calendar out of date? If Havana will really be out in two days I will
> certainly wait. If Havana is coming late, does anybody have a best-guess
> ballpark timeline? (A week? A month? A quarter? I promise not to complain if
> it's inaccurate: I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth
> waiting.)

The release engineering types will have a more specific answer, but
OpenStack releases tend to be very much on time.  I haven't paid
minute attention but if they haven't been precisely on time it's only
varied by a few days.

> If I want to install Havana before it's officially released, what's the best
> way to do that? For the OS, is the Ubuntu server distro with bundled
> OpenStack the best way to go? (That is my current inclination, as I want to
> get this stuff working as quickly as possible—but I obviously don't want to
> do anything stupid.)

If Ubuntu is your OS of choice I'd recommend 12.04 with packages from
their "cloud archive"
see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/CloudArchive , they even have a
havana repo up (I'm using 12.04 and grizzly not sure what is in havana
there)

> Is there a good preview build of Ubuntu+OpenStack out there that has the
> latest Havana builds or would I need to roll my own? (And how hard is this?)

Using your configuration management system of choice is usually best,
most have pretty good openstack support.  I'm most familiar with the
puppet way.  Going completely roll your own isn't that bad, most
people get hung up a bit on networking (even with community config
modules or cook books).  This this is good for conceptual discussion
about what implementation strategies meet your goals.  #openstack IRC
on freenode is excellent for when you trip up trying to implement
those plans and are trying to debug.

There's lots of moving parts, but once you get use to the layout and
terminology it's not too hard to find your way around.

> If I were to install the current Ubuntu server distro with Grizzly, how hard
> would it be to upgrade everything later? I won't have a big cluster or
> anything: just a couple of very powerful boxes. (I wouldn't want to have to
> recreate the VMs or reinstall the OS, but some downtime wouldn't be a
> problem.)

Given the short cycle I'd do the initial deploy and test with havana
rc2 bits that are out now.  Named version upgrades don't require VM
downtime though they do tend to disrupt the control plane (there's
work to provide V-1 backwards compatibility so this goes away too, not
sure how close or far that goal is), going from rc2 to release should
be completely non disruptive.

> I've never installed OpenStack before but I'm pretty good at figuring things
> out. I'm sure I can read the manual when it comes time to do the actual
> setup: I'm just looking for a little bit of information to help me figure
> out what I want to set up.

http://docs.openstack.org has lots of good stuff, though it can be
challenging to know quite where to look.  Probably best to start with
Install guide and then the admin guides.  Note that the page will
point you to the grizzly docs but you can get to the latest pre-havana
docs (which may be incomplete yet) by swapping the "grizzly" in the
url with "trunk" for exmaple
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/install/apt/content/

-Jon