[Openstack] Connection between VMS

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Thu Oct 10 16:06:29 UTC 2013

On 10/09/2013 06:55 PM, Guilherme Russi wrote:
> Hello Rick,
>
> Here is the command:
>
> ubuntu at small-vm02:~$ ssh ubuntu at small-vm03
> ssh: Could not resolve hostname small-vm03: Name or service not known
>
> My point is, I have my cloud-vm01 with IP 10.5.5.3 and I want ssh to my
> cloud-vm02 with IP 10.5.5.4, but I can't simply do "ssh ubuntu at 10.5.5.4
> <mailto:ubuntu at 10.5.5.4>" because the IP 10.5.5.4 can be attached to my
> cloud-vm03, for example, so, I want to know if there's a way to ssh
> using "ssh ubuntu at cloud-vm02"

Someone else will have to speak to the status of any DNSaaS available in
OpenStack or your cloud provider.

In the realm of stone knives and bear skins, you could create your
instances with explicitly assigned private IPs (I'm ass-u-me-ing those
are private IPs).  If you were consistent about creating your instances
with explicitly selected private IPs, you could create a static
/etc/hosts file to place on all your instances to map from hostname to
IP.  Then you would be able to use names to access them.

rick jones