[Openstack] [Neutron] Instances Internet Access Trouble

Francisco Lugo francisco.lugo.e at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 17:54:45 UTC 2013

Hi everyone.

My openstack deployment has an issue with the internet access of the
virtual machines. I have access to the instances from the physical network
using floating ips and ssh, everything works fine, but the instances can't
get internet access. I noticed that the network node can't connect to
internet either, so here goes all the details:

Basically two things are not working here:
1-The internet access of the network node, i can ssh the server from the
main network using the address i added to br-ex, but no internet. I guess
that's why the instances can't connect either, not sure.
2-The use of namespaces, which i enabled but i can't create overlapping ips
subnets. The nodes support the use of namespaces.

It's an ubuntu based openstack installation with 3 nodes: controller,
network and compute. I followed the basic architecture described in this
guide:
https://github.com/mseknibilel/OpenStack-Grizzly-Install-Guide/blob/OVS_MultiNode/OpenStack_Grizzly_Install_Guide.rst
BUT
with the havana version. I used the same scripts on the controller node as
in the guide(2.6), changing "quantum" for "neutron". I have a switch
dedicated to the management network, working fine. I'm using the
openvswitch plugins for neutron, configured with gre networks, as the guide
shows(3.5). The configuration for eth1 is as in the guide(3.4 - part 2). I
added eth1 to br-ex with this command on the network node: *ovs-vsctl
add-port br-ex eth1*.
When the installation was finished, i followed the official openstack
installation guide
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/install-guide/install/apt/content/, and
added some small things to the configuration based on the first guide. Then
i followed the "per-tenant router with private networks" neutron deployment
use case, from the second install guide, i created the logical external
network and subnet, and added an address from the main physical network to
br-ex, in the network node, with these commands: *ip addr add 30.0.0.100/24
<http://30.0.0.100/24> dev br-ex* & *ip link set br-ex up*.

Extra:
I did try opening everything on the security groups.
The server i'm using as network node has only two nics, so it has eth0,
eth0:1 connected to the management switch, and eth1 connected to the main
switch, i'm not sure if it matters.

Thanks for reading. I hope you can help me.

Francisco Lugoe.