[Openstack] What's the difference between 'host' and 'node'?

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Thu Nov 28 03:00:09 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM, wu jiang <wingwj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone give me some idea what's the difference between 'host' and
> 'node'?
>
> I wonder if it is because compute host will control other physical server
> (host or node?) in baremetal scene, so we need to distinguish?
> But I'm not sure about it.

Hi wingwj,

According to https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Baremetal#Terminology the
"host" is where nova-compute runs, and is what provisions baremetal
"instances" onto baremetal "nodes".  The "host" is the controller, whereas
the "node" is the physical machine where an "instance" is deployed.

Not that I'm an expert, but that I'm playing with this right now :)

Hope this helps,

Michael...
Michael Davies   michael at the-davies.net