[Openstack] [Nova] Proposed removal of the PowerVM driver

Chuck Short chuck.short at canonical.com
Sat Nov 23 04:31:02 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> So, a few questions...
>
>  - If there are no users shall we remove it from Havana and Grizzly as
> well, or does that violate our stability principles too much?

Speaking with my stable maintainers hat on I would personally NACK this
since
it doesnt meet the standard of a stable maintenance requirement, imho.

>  - If we don't remove the code from stable, what about removing all
> references from the stable docs and putting in a warning saying that
> powervm is a dead end instead? I want to minimise confusion on the
> part of people deploying stable releases.

This would be okay in my opinion.

>  - And finally, as someone who spent a bunch of time reviewing powervm
> code I will admit that I'm kind of annoyed right now. How can IBM
> reassure us that powervc has customers asking for a driver, and that
> those customers will actually deploy a driver if one is merged? Given
> kvm for power is now announced and should be around in 2014, I'd much
> prefer a powerkvm through libvirt implementation to minimise the
> number of drivers.

This can be said for any number of drivers in the virt layer. For example,
vmware might want to introduce a new product and have a new Openstack
driver, deprecating what we have in Openstack now. I would take a wait and
see approach to what happens.

chuck