[Openstack] [Nova] Proposed removal of the PowerVM driver

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Nov 22 21:45:17 UTC 2013

So, a few questions...

 - If there are no users shall we remove it from Havana and Grizzly as
well, or does that violate our stability principles too much?

 - If we don't remove the code from stable, what about removing all
references from the stable docs and putting in a warning saying that
powervm is a dead end instead? I want to minimise confusion on the
part of people deploying stable releases.

 - And finally, as someone who spent a bunch of time reviewing powervm
code I will admit that I'm kind of annoyed right now. How can IBM
reassure us that powervc has customers asking for a driver, and that
those customers will actually deploy a driver if one is merged? Given
kvm for power is now announced and should be around in 2014, I'd much
prefer a powerkvm through libvirt implementation to minimise the
number of drivers.

Michael

[1]: http://blog.klauskiwi.com/ibm-announces-kvm-coming-to-power-systems-in-2014-powerlinux-powerkvm-rhsummit/

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> There was only one response in the user survey that the cloud was using PowerVM.
>
> Given IBM's request to drop the function, my analysis of the survey data says that this would not cause disruption for the deployments who reported their configurations.
>
> Thus, an accelerated depreciation schedule would seem appropriate. I would recommend an e-mail to the openstack operations list to confirm that there are no objections.
>
> Tim

Rackspace Australia