[Openstack] Volume in attaching state

Narayanan, Krishnaprasad narayana at uni-mainz.de
Thu Nov 21 10:42:38 UTC 2013

Hallo all,

I am trying to attach a volume to an instance in my ESSEX Cloud. I was able to create a volume successfully but when I attached it to an instance, I see that the status is in "Attaching" state for a long time. On the  compute node, I could see the "iscsitgtadm -m session" returning a proper status.
I also logged in to the VM and did fdisk -l but couldn't find the disk. In the nova-compute log, there is a log message that mentions "iscsi found a node vdc". The vdc is the device on the VM to which the volume is attached. On the cloud controller node, I did a lvdisplay and I am able to see the 100 GB volume.

Can somebody guide me how should I confirm the creation of volume? If it is not created, can I know the workaround to get rid of this problem?

Thanks,
Krishnaprasad