[Openstack] guidance needed for neutron setup

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Wed Nov 20 09:36:09 UTC 2013

Hi Andre,

Some replies inline, hopefully they might be helpful.
>From my perspective your setup is not that different from the 'classical'
in which controller and network node are separated.

Salvatore

On 18 November 2013 20:17, Andre Charbonneau <
Andre.Charbonneau at ssc-spc.gc.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm an openstack newbie and I'm trying to setup the following on havana:
>
> "Provider router with private networks" setup (as descirbed in
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/install-guide/install/apt-debian/content/section_networking-provider-router_with-provate-networks.html
> )
> on the following 3 pieces of hardware:
>

> 1 node that acts as Controller + Network (4 available NICs:
> em1,em2,em3,em4)
> 2 compute nodes (2 available NICs: em1, em2)
>

> I've seen some good howtos and tutorials on how to do this with
> dedicated controller and network nodes, but I could not find one where
> the same node acts as a controller and network node and the compute
> nodes are separate.  I understand that we cannot replicate every
> possible setups in the documentation, but I don't know enough about the
> internals of neutron to figure out how to configure my setup.  I'm
> confused about a few things, such as which vlan range I should specify
> in my network_vlan_ranges variable as in the openstack docs above for
> the controller node is says to use 100:2999 but for the network node it
> says to use 1:4094.  If both service run on the same node, which range
> should I use?

I think this is confusing because it incorrect on the documentation, and
shall probably be fixed.
My understanding is that one declares the available vlan ranges for each
physical network in the plugin to allocate vlans to tenant networks, and
then the agent can have a different bridge mapping for each physical
network.

Hence network_vlan_ranges should be the same across
controller/network/compute nodes, whereas bridge-mappings should be defined
on every node except the controller (in your case on the controller node
too since it's running also the services which usually are in the network
node).

For the choice of a range, this really depends on your setup. If you've
trunked all the ports on your switches, then you should be able to use the
whole vlan range; but if you've reserved some VLANs for management network
or similar, you might want to ensure they are not in your range.