[Openstack] [SWIFT] managing the ring.gz files?

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Mon Nov 18 23:08:43 UTC 2013

I've heard of a few ways:

1) use existing puppet or chef or fabric or salt or dsh scripts to treat them like normal config files

2) use rsync to sync the ring files every so often (eg via cron)

3) host a web server on the admin box where you made the scripts and wget or curl them in the swift cluster

4) as you mentioned, store them in a VCS and fetch/pull/checkout/whatever on the storage nodes

5) deploy the builder files and generate the rings locally (be sure to set the same seed!)

Basically, the problem is moving a file from one place to many places. There are a lot of ways to do this.

--John