[Openstack] guidance needed for neutron setup

Andre Charbonneau Andre.Charbonneau at SSC-SPC.gc.ca
Mon Nov 18 19:17:07 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm an openstack newbie and I'm trying to setup the following on havana:

"Provider router with private networks" setup (as descirbed in
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/install-guide/install/apt-debian/content/section_networking-provider-router_with-provate-networks.html)
on the following 3 pieces of hardware:

1 node that acts as Controller + Network (4 available NICs: em1,em2,em3,em4)
2 compute nodes (2 available NICs: em1, em2)

I've seen some good howtos and tutorials on how to do this with
dedicated controller and network nodes, but I could not find one where
the same node acts as a controller and network node and the compute
nodes are separate.  I understand that we cannot replicate every
possible setups in the documentation, but I don't know enough about the
internals of neutron to figure out how to configure my setup.  I'm
confused about a few things, such as which vlan range I should specify
in my network_vlan_ranges variable as in the openstack docs above for
the controller node is says to use 100:2999 but for the network node it
says to use 1:4094.  If both service run on the same node, which range
should I use?

Any help with this or pointers to where I could read more about this
kind of setups would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
  Andre