[Openstack] Openstack Neutron - ML2 Plugin Deep Dive.

Mathieu Rohon mathieu.rohon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 15:34:12 UTC 2013

Hi george,

the L2population Mech driver in ML2 sends forwarding informations to
the agent, so that L2 agent populates the dataplane to send traffic to
the correct tunnel. This mechanism works only in tunneling mode (GRE
or VXLAN), for the moment. With this implementation,
broadcast/Multicast is sent only in the appropriate Tunnel. This is
the partial mesh part  of the Mech driver.
For the ARP responder part, there is two implementations, one for ovs
and one for linuxbridge.
For linuxbridge, with vxlan kernel module, a vxlan port can be set
with the mode proxy, and the arp proxy is populated by L2population
mech driver as soon as a new port is added to the network backed with
VXLan. This is already in havana.
For OVS, we plan to implement arp proxy with ebtables, on the bridge
on top of the ovs switch. This part is in development. Swami is
planning to implement ARP proxy in a kernel module dedicated to
distributed routing. see the spec of
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/neutron-ovs-dvr
The migration of a VM, and the update of fdb entry is under
development too, but it should land soon. It will close this bug :
https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1237841

If you are interested in ARP proxy implementation in Neutron, let's
keep in touch, ARP proxy could be a good candidate for a driver based
extension.

Mathieu