[Openstack] Help for a newbie: I am sure it is somewhere in the documentation ...

Rolph III, Don rolphd at amgen.com
Wed Nov 13 14:56:50 UTC 2013

Thanks!!!

From: Lorin Hochstein [mailto:lorin at nimbisservices.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:01 AM
To: Rolph III, Don
Cc: openstack at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Help for a newbie: I am sure it is somewhere in the documentation ...

Don:

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Rolph III, Don <rolphd at amgen.com<mailto:rolphd at amgen.com>> wrote:
I have a copy of devstack  up and running ad have been experimenting with it.

I would like to capture a checkpoint of the cirros image before I run my next experiment.

You create snapshot your running instance into a new image. You can then start a new instance from that image.
>From the dashboard, see: http://docs.openstack.org/user-guide/content/instance_snapshots.html
>From the command line: "nova image-create":

usage: nova image-create [--poll] <server> <name>

Create a new image by taking a snapshot of a running server.

Positional arguments:
  <server>  Name or ID of server.
  <name>    Name of snapshot.

Optional arguments:
  --poll    Blocks while instance snapshots so progress can be reported.

Lorin