[Openstack] Docs for Nova os-quota-sets don't match implementation?

Alain Roy A.Roy at F5.com
Thu Nov 7 05:56:37 UTC 2013

Hello,

I've been looking at the APIs for Nova's os-quota-sets, and the docs don't seem to match the implementation. Or perhaps I'm confused--I'm no expert here. Here's what I'm seeing:

The docs at <http://api.openstack.org/api-ref-compute.html> show the quota API as:

    GET v2/​{tenant_id}​/os-quota-sets

However, the nova command-line tool and my experimentation suggest that the correct usage is:

    GET v2/​{tenant_id}​/os-quota-sets/{tenant_id}

The docs also show that I can get details, which will show me not just the quotas but also the current usage with:

    GET v2/​{tenant_id}​/os-quota-sets/​{user_id}​/detail

I've tried various combinations on this theme and cannot get the 'detail' API to work. I'm not super familiar with the OpenStack code base, but when I looked at the code it appeared that it's not implemented. (The data is there, but I think it's not exposed via the API). Moreover, the user quotas only seem to be in Havana while project quotas are in Havana and earlier. But when I browse the API docs, I can't tell what might be available in Havana and what might be available in earlier versions.

Horizon (Grizzly) shows detail similar to what the detail API says it provides, but when I look at the nova-api.log file, it's not using the osg-quota-sets/detail API, but appears to be synthesizing the data from the quotas plus the server and flavor details.

Am I correct that the docs don't match the implementation? If so, what's the best thing to do? Should I file a bug or should I provide a fix to the docs? (I'm not confident that I know the correct documentation, but I'd be willing to try.)

Thanks,
-alain