[Openstack] Multiple nova-pools (floating ips)

Razique Mahroua razique.mahroua at gmail.com
Fri May 17 08:17:43 UTC 2013

Hi guys,
I just noticed if you have multiple floating ip pools, (different subnet) with nova-network - the floating ips don't work if the second pool doesn't have any route available on the compute node (using openstack multi_host but I guess that apply even if you don't use it)

for example
	floating-ip range :10.0.10.0/27 -> same IP range of the compute node (that has routing rules for that) : works
	floating-ip range:  46.46.46.0/27 -> other subnet the compute node doesn't have any route for : doesn't work

Because basically, doesn't that mean we are trying to assign two WAN routing to the same computer? if so I think it's about setting up priorities on two new routing tables:

ip rule add prio 201 from IP1/NETMASK1 table 201
ip rule add prio 202 from IP2/NETMASK2 table 202
ip  route add default via GATEWAY1 dev eth0 src IP1 proto static table 201
ip  route append prohibit default table 201 metric 1 proto static
ip  route add default via GATEWAY2 dev eth0 src IP2 proto static table 202
ip route append prohibit default table 202 metric 1 proto static
ip rule add prio 221 table 221
ip route add default table 221 proto static nexthop via GATEWAY1 dev eth0 weight 2 nexthop via GATEWAY2 dev eth0 weight 3

How does nova-network manages the multiple pools with IP that are routed to the same nodes, even if that last doesn't have any ip within these pools?

thank you!

Razique Mahroua - Nuage & Co
razique.mahroua at gmail.com
Tel : +33 9 72 37 94 15