[Openstack] Cinder's LVM vg creation when installing Grizzly

Razique Mahroua razique.mahroua at gmail.com
Tue May 14 15:25:22 UTC 2013

Hi,
please see my answers below

Razique Mahroua - Nuage & Co
razique.mahroua at gmail.com
Tel : +33 9 72 37 94 15

Le 14 mai 2013 à 17:06, "Chris Bartels" <chris at christopherbartels.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I have questions regarding this part of the Grizzly install guide that’s up on github:
>
> ·         Finally, don't forget to create a volumegroup and name it cinder-volumes:
>
> ·         dd if=/dev/zero of=cinder-volumes bs=1 count=0 seek=2G
dd is a binary that allows you to copy a file - in that case from the special device to the file called "cinder-volumes" (it's cinder-volume without s actually by default)

> ·         losetup /dev/loop2 cinder-volumes
You mount that file as a loop file so cinder (Linux before that actually) will see it as a devie

> ·         fdisk /dev/loop2
You format that file-device

> ·         #Type in the followings:
> ·         n
You create a new partition

> ·         p
You declare is as a primary partition

> ·         1
It' the first one

> ·         ENTER
You validate the first sector

> ·         ENTER
Then the last one

> ·         t
Then you change the partition type

> ·         8e
8e is the LVM code

> ·         w
You write the changes then exit :)
> ·         Proceed to create the physical volume then the volume group:
>
> ·         pvcreate /dev/loop2
You declare a new physical LVM volume

> ·         vgcreate cinder-volumes /dev/loop2
You create a new volume group on the physical volume you previously created
> Note: Beware that this volume group gets lost after a system reboot. (Click Here to know how to load it after a reboot)

Yes because the loop device gets removed, you can add an entry inside fstab that would mount the loop file

> First, I don’t know what all those commands are doing, in particular with the dd stuff, and I’m reluctant to be doing stuff with that which I don’t understand, so if someone could explain what that’s all about I’d appreciate it. If that’s how it _must_ be done, I’d like to know.
>
> Secondly, I’m wondering if I could make life easier and not have to bother with the extra stuff regarding making the vg come back after reboot, which the instructions link to how to do, if I were to simply do the cinder vg with the installer & install Ubuntu with 100GB (out of 1000GB) of the disk made available to the guided LVM partitioning during the initial install, and use the rest as a cinder-volumes vgcreate’d group that gets mounted normally at each boot like everything else does.
If you have a disk dedicated for Cinder (or a cluster, whatever) you can use directly physical disks rather than a loop file. Just format your disk and create an LVM partition, then pvcreate/ vgcreate - that one will remain active after you reboot the server

> Wouldn’t that work? Seems easier to me.
indded :)