[Openstack] Booting from a volume makes the VM unreachable from controller node

Mohammed Amine SAYA asaya.openstack at gmail.com
Wed May 1 13:29:46 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I finally managed to boot a VM, ping it and even ssh into it on my modest
openstack cloud (Three machines only). Very proud of it :-)))

So I moved to the next level which is to boot a VM on a volume and things
got a little bit cloudy. I created a volume with cinder and followed the
" Manually Creating a Bootable Volume" instructions in this link
http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/openstack-compute/admin/content/instance-creation.html#boot_from_volume
.

>From a running VM, I created a partition on the new volume, mounted it and
put the content of cirros-0.3.0-x86_64-rootfs.img in it.

What I notice is the following :
1- When I boot a VM on the newly created volume, the controller node is
unable to reach the VM whereas the network node can (ping fails). I checked
the content of the only  partition in the volume, when I mounted it on a
running standalone VM, and it seems all right.

2- When I boot a VM from a cirros image, without specifying a boot volume
and using --image in nova boot command line, every thing runs fine. Both
controller node and network node ping the VM and I can ssh into it from
controller node.

Am I missing something here please?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Amine.