[Openstack] Agent out of sync with plugin!

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 07:18:55 UTC 2013

On 03/12/2013 12:13 AM, Greg Chavez wrote:

> So I'm setting up Folsom on Ubuntu 12.10, using the Github Folsom
> Install Guide:
>
> https://github.com/mseknibilel/OpenStack-Folsom-Install-guide/blob/master/OpenStack_Folsom_Install_Guide_WebVersion.rst
>
> After following the steps to instantiate the network node, I'm left
> with 3 new but downed OVS bridges, and three error-filled logs for
> ovs-plugin, dhcp-agent, and l3-agent.  I rectify it with this:
>
> http://pastebin.com/L43d9q8a
>
> When I restart the networking and then restart the plugin and agents,
> everything seems to work, but I'm getting this strange INFO message in
> /var/log/quantum/openvswitch-agent.log:
>
> 2013-03-11 17:48:02     INFO
> [quantum.plugins.openvswitch.agent.ovs_quantum_agent] Agent out of
> sync with plugin!
>
> I traced it to this .py file:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/quantum/blob/master/quantum/plugins/openvswitch/agent/ovs_quantum_agent.py
>
> Now I realize that this is and INFO message, not an error.  But I
> would still like to know what this means.  Thanks!

The Quantum agents need to retrieve the port data from the Quantum
service. When the agents start this is done automatically (hence the
message that you have seen). This can also happen if there is an
exception in the agent or if the agent is unable to communicate with the
service - for example there is a problem with the connection between the
agent and the service (link down, etc).