[Openstack] openvswitch instead of quantum

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Sat Jun 22 13:09:55 UTC 2013

On 22.06.2013 12:14, Salvatore Orlando wrote:
> Yes, it is a very common use case.
> Nowadays, everybody who deploys Xen, KVM, or LXC without a Cloud
> Management System is actually using Open vSwitch.
> In that case you can program Open vSwitch using its own interface to
> provide virtual networks.

Citation needed. I'd say most pepole use the regular linux bridge
because for a long time this was pretty much the only game in town.

> When deploying Openstack, you can use Open vSwitch without Quantum by
> deploying nova-network instead.
> As far as I know every nova-network manager works with Open vSwitch too.

As far as I know the plan for Havana is to deprecate nova-network so for
any current development it's a bad idea to use that as a base.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/deprecate-nova-network

Regards,
   Dennis