[Openstack] Can I run qemu-kvm in an OpenStack Instance

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Thu Jun 13 21:54:23 UTC 2013

On Jun 13, 2013, at 5:34 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> install linux-image-generic, it will bring in
> linux-image-extra-$version-generic which has kvm.

That did it! I'm now creating a CentOS KVM image in an Ubuntu OpenStack VM. I'll wait until it finishes before celebrating, but there are no errors so far.

Just to clarify, I first installed linux-image-generic but it didn't automatically bring in linux-image-extra-$version-generic. I did an apt-cache search and found linux-image-extra-virtual. I installed that and it brought in KVM. I subsequently had to start qemu-kvm manually, but it did start.

I'll update this thread if and when the CentOS image is created successfully.

Thanks, Robert!