[Openstack] The OpenStack Community Welcomes Developers in All Programming Languages

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Jun 12 16:32:53 UTC 2013

On 06/12/2013 07:09 AM, Everett Toews wrote:
> The OpenStack community has been and needs to continue to be a welcoming
> community for developers in all programming languages.

Indeed. As more public clouds are appearing powered by OpenStack,
developers of applications are becoming even more important than before.
In fact, I think it's about time we start thinking about specific
programs for developers consuming OpenStack.

> This email is prompted by a minor incident in the #openstack IRC
> channel.
[...]
> Like I said, a minor incident. I don’t want to blow this out of
> proportion but it does need to be addressed.

How do you suggest to address this issue? My gut feeling is that
expecting people on #openstack to behave all the time can be too much of
a challenge. I heard often that the channel is not very useful and
that's one of the reasons that lead to creating #openstack-101. Maybe we
can increase the visibility of such channel, put it on top of the list
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/IRC?

> If you ever encounter someone looking for help with another language,
> you can always point them to the SDKs wiki page [1]. They should be
> able to find their way from there.

> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/SDKs

Great to mention that. Maybe we can think about linking this page
directly from the wiki main page https://wiki.openstack.org/. Another
thing we could do to help consumers of API (is that a good term?) is to
improve the "Catalog of OpenStack related projects"
http://stackmeat.org/, maybe make it an official community project.

Other ideas?

/stef