[Openstack] Shared Storage with cinder ?

Heiko Krämer info at honeybutcher.de
Fri Jul 5 16:24:03 UTC 2013

Heyho guys,

I'm searching for a solution to share storage over more then one instance.

Normally you attach a block device with cinder directly via iscsi or
glusterfs or whatever to one instance and that's it. Multi attachments
are not present.

Use case:

I've an application on 4 application instances and a database instance.
Now you have static file like images, movies, css ... but this files
should be available on each application instance.
Now you need to fire up an "storage" instance and attach a volume. After
that you can with nfs or what ever share your stuff to the application
instances but i think this is a very big ressource overhead for small
projects. You need a instance only to share your data on each project
and this n times :(

Do we have now any ways to solve this use case without this resource
overhead ? I've seen it's a blueprint to attach cinder volumes to
multiple instances but not implemented yet.

Thx for your hints and greetings
Heiko