[Openstack] [Spam] RE: [Spam] Re: what is the meaning to alliance with VMWare?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Jul 29 17:43:08 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Peter Cheung's message of 2013-07-29 09:52:46 -0700:
> Thanks Clint. If we treat VMWare as a neighbor, we meet another trouble, how can we pack openstack and vmware into a single solution? what kind of customer need such as solution?
> Compete with VMWare seems to be the right choice, openstack has a great advantage in price and community. People may say vmware features are still better, but we just need some more time to catch up. This is just my opinion.

You're treating OpenStack like it is a product. It is a platform, and
we build products on top of that platform.

We don't need to worry about packing OpenStack and VMware together. If
there are users who need such a thing, healthy cooperation in the market
will enable them. Any abuse of the market will just delay growth into
those users' section of the market by wasting their money and/or time.

Head-on competition is not the only course of action, and in fact in
this situation, that is probably the course of most disaster. Neighbors
don't have to compete directly. They can improve the market conditions
by solidifying the infrastructure, and thus have sustainable shares of
a growing healthy market. The competition is real already, and it will
increase, but lets not fixate on it when there are huge opportunities
that allow us to side-step it altogether.