[Openstack] Cant ping private or floating IP

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at digimind.com
Fri Feb 15 14:37:49 UTC 2013

Metadata API allows to fetch SSH credentials when booting (pubkey I mean).
If a VM is unable to reach metadata service, then it won't be able to
get its public key, so you won't be able to connect, unless you
specifically go thru a Password authentication (provided password auth
is enabled in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, which is not the case with Ubuntu
cloud archive).
There is also a side effect, the boot process is longer as the instance
is waiting for the curl timeout (60sec.) to finish booting up.

Re: Quantum, the metadata API is actually DNAT'd from Network node to
the Nova-api node (here 172.16.0.1 as internal management IP) :
Chain quantum-l3-agent-PREROUTING (1 references)
DNAT       tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0            169.254.169.254      tcp dpt:80
to:172.16.0.1:8775

Anyway, the first step is to :
1. grab the console.log
2. access thru VNC to the desired instance

Troubleshooting will be easier once that done.

-Sylvain