[Openstack] Ability to view Ubuntu boot process in VNC console

Andrii Loshkovskyi loshkovskyi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:57:16 UTC 2013

Hello,

I tried setting the value with/without brackets and encountered the
following error:

Invalid output terminal "ttyS0"

As far as I know I can check the kernel boot parameters this way:

cat /proc/cmdline
root=/dev/vda console=ttyS0 selinux=0

The line above is same all of the time, even if I applied some new changes
to the GRUB config.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Joe Breu <joseph.breu at rackspace.com> wrote:

>  Hello Andrii,
>
>  Can you try setting GRUB_TERMINAL to ttyS0, update the grub config, and
> boot the image?
>
>   ---
> Joseph Breu
> Deployment Engineer
> Rackspace Private Cloud
> 210-312-3508
>
>  On Feb 14, 2013, at 8:11 AM, Andrii Loshkovskyi wrote:
>
>  Currently, when I boot up an Ubuntu virtual machine, the boot process
> messages are not shown up in the VNC console. Everything that I see in the
> console is "iPXE Booting from ROM...", black screen and login entry at the
> end. I am using OpenStack Essex and my VM's image was built from Ubuntu
> Server 12.04 LTS. I tried editing the GRUB config file /etc/default/grub
> and updating configuraton with update-grub afterwards. Particularly, I made
> sure there is no "quiet" option in the Linux command line parameters,
> GRUB_TERMINAL=console is uncommented, etc.
>
>  The problem is it looks like Nova does not use this GRUB config at all.
> Any changes applied to the GRUB config are not visible on the boot process.
> I studied documentation and googled a lot trying to understand how the VMs
> boot process works in OpenStack but with no success.
>
>  I need your help on this issue. I would appreciate if someone shares an
> advice how to view the boot messages while booting up a VM or point me to
> the proper documentation. Let me know if you need more details on my
> configuration as it looks to be a rather general issue.
>
>  Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Andrii Loshkovskyi